This best-selling resource offers new and seasoned teachers alike a hands-on guide brimming with practical advice, tips, checklists, reproducibles, and ready-to-use activities that get results.
Step by step, the book outlines an effective classroom management plan based on the STOIC framework. By following the STOIC approach, readers will learn how to prevent and calmly address misbehavior and confidently implement research-based strategies to maximize student motivation. The teacher-tested STOIC approach guides you through developing a classroom management plan that will help you:
- Structure and organize all settings to prompt responsible student behavior.
- Teach your expectations regarding how to behave responsibly within the structure you have created.
- Observe whether students are meeting expectations by physically circulating, visually scanning, and collecting meaningful data.
- Interact positively with students to build relationships and provide frequent, age-appropriate positive feedback.
- Correct irresponsible behavior fluently—calmly, consistently, immediately, briefly, respectfully, and (as much as possible) privately.
Discipline in the Secondary Classroom is specifically written for the secondary school classroom. For strategies and techniques that apply to younger students, please refer to CHAMPS: A Proactive and Positive Approach to Classroom Management.